Monday, October 28, 2013

The magical heartbeat

Today was a magical day, with the high point being able to hear the sound of our baby's heartbeat. We got to see the little bugger at 8 weeks, and then for the past 4 weeks we've had little evidence to believe that the nugget is continuing to grow as planned/expected.

Well, today all that changed. We were lucky enough to see the heartbeat at 8 weeks, but today we got to hear the magical tune of our baby's heart beating away. The actual listening to the heartbeat was a lot less climactic than I thought it would be, but exciting nonetheless. The doc just put something on my tummy and held the speaker up in the room. At first I didn't hear anything (I always think the worst first) but then there it was. Kind of a zoom, zoom, zoom sound letting us know that Baby Parker was alive and well.

What this means is that the baby is doing what it's supposed to, and that we're passed the scary point in the first trimester. It also means that we have been given the go ahead to spread the word that this is happening!

No more sneaking around pretending to drink, because the cat is out of the bag. No need to make up excuses for why I don't want to spend the weekend at a football game, because being pregnant is the best excuse for everything!

In case you're wondering, I have not started to show at all at this point. I feel like my stomach looks bloated and round, but more like I ate too much at lunch than an actual baby is growing inside there. But in a few weeks, all that will change! Then not only will our friends and family know, but everyone who sees us walking down the street (well, me walking down the street) will know that we're expecting!

It's fun to have the confirmation, and it's even more fun to share. Stay tuned for exciting news as it arrives!


No comments:

Post a Comment